Induction Year: 1993
Ed Chew (1928-2020) began his tennis career in El Paso by winning the 12-and-under City Championship. At El Paso High School, Chew won the Texas UIL doubles title in 1944 and 1945.
Chew was a four-year letterman at the University of Texas from 1946 to 1949. In 1946 at the Erie, Pennsylvania Open, he won both the men's doubles and the 18 doubles championships. In 1946 he was ranked 3rd in the nation in doubles. Also in 1946, Chew and his father were ranked 3rd nationally in father and son doubles. He continued to play tennis after college and won many doubles tournaments.
Chew served tennis in numerous volunteer positions in El Paso and Texas. He was the president of the USTA Southwest section and went on to be president of the Texas Tennis Association (now USTA Texas) from 1979 to 1980. Chew worked hard to help establish the Texas Tennis Museum and Hall of Fame and served on its earliest advisory committee.
In 1980 Chew received the W.T. Caswell Service Award by the Texas Tennis Association, given to the Texas resident who has made valuable contributions to the growth and development of tennis in Texas.