Induction Year: 1994
Chuck Avera was born (1925-2003) in Lawton, Oklahoma to Jeff and Willie Avera. He married Margaret Jane Towles on August 6, 1950. He coached in Oklahoma before moving to Wichita Falls in 1953 where he built one of the best tennis programs in the country, coaching numerous state champions.
At the conclusion of World War II, Avera became the tennis pro at Fort Sill. After going back to college and getting his degree, Avera was hired by Lawton High School, coaching tennis and junior high football. It was a job he held for two years.
At mid-semester in 1953, Avera began coaching junior high and high school tennis in Wichita Falls as well as being the head pro for Weeks Park Tennis Center. He coached at all three city high schools, guiding the programs at Wichita Falls High School and Rider for two years at the same time. He resigned his post in 1974 to take a job as pro a Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, but he came back to Wichita Falls and coached at Hirschi for nine years. He then took on the Midwestern State program for two years before retiring.
Avera compiled an impressive resume for himself as a player as well. After winning titles in high school, he also was a standout on the collegiate level. After retiring, Avera was known as a big sports fan and supporter of many other activities outside the tennis realm in Wichita Falls.