S. C. “Pro” Jones
Induction Year: 1992
S. C. “Pro” Jones was born in rural Tennessee and raised in Knoxville. He was an outstanding junior player in the early and mid-1930’s. After attending the University of Tennessee on a tennis scholarship, he spent a couple of years dividing his time between Tennessee and Florida.
Pro came to Dallas in 1941 to take the position of tennis professional at the Cedar Springs Tennis Club (later called the Oak Lawn Tennis Club). He spent the war years (1942- 1945) in the Valley working with Sun Oil Company. In 1944, he married Maxie Watts. After the war Pro served concurrently as the tennis pro at Brookhollow Club and the Dallas Country Club, then at Northwood Country Club and the Dallas Country Club. In 1960 he left Dallas Country Club to devote full time to his sporting goods business in the Highland Park Shopping Village. During the 40’s and 50’s, Pro Jones was the preeminent tennis pro in Dallas. Because of Pro, the Dallas Country Club was a hub of Texas tennis, hosting two annual open tournaments and twice hosting the Texas Sectionals. Pro ran and directed the DCC Invitational Tournament which brought the best players in the world to Dallas each spring.
In the 1940’s, when Dr. Penick would call a meeting of the fledgling Texas Tennis Association, the small group included Julius and Gladys Heldman from Houston, Paschal Walthall from San Antonio, and Pro from Dallas. Pro was also active with the Dallas Tennis Association, and he guided the Dallas Tennis Patrons Association for many years. Pro was a teacher from the “old school”. Unwavering in this adherence to the rules and ethics of the game.