Dr. William Powers
Induction Year: 1983
Dr. William Powers (1905-1978) won the state high school singles championship in 1923, the first time the award was given. He also teamed up with Clifton “Pee-Wee” Haynes and placed second in the state high school doubles. He was a standout at Baylor University in singles and doubles, again with “Pee-Wee” Haynes.
Powers lived in Wichita Falls most of his life but attended the University of Virginia, Baylor University and Baylor Medical School. He was known in Wichita Falls as “Mr. Tennis”. His work with the Wichita Falls Independent School District Board of Trustees led to the establishment of the Wichita Falls High School Tennis Courts which now bear his name – the W.L. Powers Tennis Courts.
Powers contributed to the advancement of tennis in Texas. He was president of the Texas Tennis Association from 1957 to 1963. He was responsible for re-introducing the publication of the Association – “Texas Tennis”. He was awarded the W. T. Caswell Award from the Texas Tennis Association. This is the highest honor in Texas tennis circles and is awarded to the individual who does the most to promote tennis in Texas.
Powers was head of the department of internal medicine at the Medical and Surgical Clinic in Wichita Falls; a member of the Wichita Falls school board and chairman of their athletic committee. He passed away on June 7, 1978 in Wichita Falls, Texas at the age of 72 years.
Penick with Wilmer Allison